25 Years Ago — July 15, 1992
Donna Heath has been named new postmaster at Hopkins. She previously had been postmaster at Colon. Heath and her family live in Dorr and she succeeds the retiring Alice Brenner.
The Waterfront Deerfield development addition to Sandy Pines was celebrated in a ceremony. Among the attendees were State Senator William Van Regenmorter and State Representative Paul Hillegonds.
The Allegan County United Way has set its goal for the fall 1992 campaign at $450,000, up significantly from the $360,000 goal of a year ago.
The Allegan County Scholarship Pageant will be held at Wayland High School Saturday, July 18. Contestants include Rebecca Shuck, Marcy McClellan, Tammy Scott, Heidi Keyzer, Julie Mann, Rosemary Pardo, Shannon Schines and Gwen Harmes.
Great Lakes Timber plans to locate a sawmill in Bradley on 129th Avenue east of the U.S.-131 expressway at the former Walker Pickle Co. site.
Jodi Brummel wrote a letter to the editor opposing the proposed amphitheater in Wayland Township, asking the question, “Isn’t there a little more to life than money?” in reference to promises of economic development. Sonia Hines of Bradley also wrote a letter expressing virtually the same sentiments.
Another letter, from Mary Graham of Dorr, contended something must be done about excessive speeding on 142nd Avenue.
Dr. Bruce Sexton, representing the Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce, wrote a letter supporting the proposed amphitheater in Wayland Township with arguments for economic benefits of such a facility.
The Allegan County Road Commission will seek a one-mill county-wide road proposal to resurface roads for another year in a renewal.
Sixteen foreign exchange students from Spain visited and toured Wayland as part of their four-week Homestay program. The appearance was hosted by Jeff and Penny Salisbury.
Many teen-agers and young adults were taking part in a variety of Gus Macker three-on-three basketball tournaments during the summer.
Jason Thomas represented the Hopkins chapter of the FFA and the national leadership conference in Washington D.C.
50 Years Ago — July 12, 1967
The Malmstone Building at the corner of Main and Superior Streets was razed, leaving the northeast corner of Wayland’s main intersection vacant. The building at one time was believed to be the oldest in the community. Nelson Briggs built his home at that site in 1850 and for many years it served as a grainery and millinery.
Norman and Frank Radimak was special guests of historical significance at the 50th anniversary jubilee of the Sts. Cyril & Methodius Church, Gun Lake. The brothers had not seen one another for at least 20 years because Frank came from Portland, Ore.
Local 4-Her Diane Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bryce Smith of Leighton Township, took first place in her division in the Michigan State Grange sewing competition.
Failure to reach a collection quota has put the Allegan County chapter of the American Red Cross on probation. The county only managed 80 percent of its goal and the quote now has been increased to 2,258 pints for the next year.
Frank Langley was re-elected president of the Wayland Board of Education and the school district’s debt retirement levy was reduced by one mill, as promised.
Representatives from the city and Dorr, Leighton and Wayland townships held joint meeting to discuss the future of ambulance service in the area. It seems the growing consensus favors having the communities band together to fund a non-profit. Mrs. Allen B. Dangremond is heading up a local petition drive on behalf of the idea.
Candi Hayes and Sue Worfel are attempting to organize a Wayland girls’ softball team and have planned to play Middleville later this summer.
John Buursma, former Hopkins teacher, is one of 20 high school teachers who has received a scholarship to take part in an eight-week educational tour of India.
A letter to the editor added information to former Editor-Publisher Rollo Mosher’s assertions about loud and boisterous fireworks by pointing out it was his grandfather who lost his limbs in a muzzleloading cannon accident on the Fourth of many years before.
Kathy Jo Smith and Suzanne K. Arndt of Wayland had their picture taken with several other students and Congressman Edward Hutchinson in Washington D.C. at a trip sponsored by the Future Teachers of America.
The Association continued to hold the No. 1 spot among the nation’s tunes with “Windy.”
75 Years Ago — July 17, 1942
Rollo Mosher wrote in his “Observations Here and There,” “The draft board, when it fills its quota of 260 men in the August call, is going to have to dig deep into its available list of reserves.”
The Community Vacation Bible School is scheduled for July 21 at the Methodist Church. Anyone from ages 4 to 104 is invited to the week-long program under the auspices of all local Protestant churches. The goal is 100 attendees.
Counselor Mrs. Harry Elenbaas and members of the Wayland Junior Garden Club met to hear Betty Rae Ellis present a paper on “Dish Gardens.”
Charles B. Lane sent a letter to the Page School Reunion relating that he had begun his teaching career at the school in November 1879 and “This seems one of the pleasantest schools I ever tried to teach.”
Fr. Adelbert Radowski was installed as the first resident pastor of the St. Therese Church and Sts. Cyril & Methodius. He succeeds Fr. Edmund Falicki, who had been administrator at the Gun Lake church for four years. Fr. Radowski, a native of Grand Rapids, was ordained as a priest in 1931.
The Wayland Livestock Club will meet July 20 at Murphy’s Point and later will be given a demonstration by Bud Anway on how to make rope halter.
The annual Southwest Michigan Jersey Show will be held Aug. 7 and the Wayland Business Men’s Association will provide entertainment and refreshments. Breeders from eight West Michigan counties will exhibit cattle.
Wayland auto dealer John Stockdale and former Allegan County Treasurer, was mentioned prominently by the by the Michigan Association of County Treasurers.
The Happy Ramblers, featured on WLAV Radio, will be guest entertainers for the next Wednesday evening program in downtown Wayland.
Now showing at the Wayland Theatre:
• Gene Autry and Smiley Burnette in “Stardust on the Sage.”
• Joseph Allen Jr. and Mary Howard in “Who Is Hope Schuyler?”
• Rita Hayworth and Victor Mature in “My Gal Sal.”
• Michael Redgrave and Diana Wynyard in “The Remarkable Mr. Higgs.”
• The British Royal Air Force in “Target for Tonight.”
100 Years Ago — July 13, 1917
Henika Library Director Fannie Hoyt and Florence Yeakey have gone to Mackinaw City to spend the rest of the summer there.
Wayland and Lake Odessa Boy Scouts plan to have a joint summer camp at Gun Lake, with about 60 boye expected to participate.
Wilson H. Mosher has extended his free air service to the curb in front of his garage on North Main Street for the convenience of the public.
Auxiliary Bishop E.D. Kelly of Detroit will lead the dedication service for the Bohemian-Slovak Catholic Church east of Wayland. It was later named Sts. Cyril & Methodius.
L.B. Mason was chosen to fill a vacancy on the Wayland School Board at the annual meeting of the district. Also elected were Charles M. Sias and David Fox. Mason succeeds C.D, Carpenter, who resigned.
The Globe listed the names of all men from its readership area who have been drafted into military service for the war overseas. Allegan County is charged with supplying 143 young men for the effort.
Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Price noticed a fire at the Sigler farm residence south of the village and promptly reported it, thereby helping to salvage the structure.
The Helping Aid Society will have an ice cream social on Fremont Hooker’s lawn. The charge will be 10 cents and proceeds will go the American Red Cross.
Marie Gustafson, daughter of Mr, and Mrs. A. Gustafson of Wayland, married Carrol L. Williams of Grand Rapids. He plans to take a job as a mechanical engineer in Superior, Ohio.
Dr. Grace Stratton-Airey of Utah was the Woman Legislator of the Week. A state representative in Utah, she commented, “We have had suffrage for so long it that it has ceased to seem strange.”
R.W. Middleton is the proprietor of the Tourist Hotel and Restaurant, with meals at all hours, boarding by the week, if desired. It was formerly known as the Dean Hotel in Wayland.