The Leighton Township Fire Department will sponsor its fifth annual Pinewood Derby at 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 31, at the Leighton Township fire station 1, 1110 144th Ave, Moline.
This is an all-ages event. Race brackets are as follows:
• Children under 18 years old, dual elimination, winners and losers ladders.
• Children more than 18 years old, dual elimination, winners and losers ladders.
• All children top eliminator, winners ladder, grudge matches.
All cars must pass inspection to qualify for their races.
1. The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches
3. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 3⁄4 inches.
4. The car must have 1 3⁄4” clearance between the wheels
5. The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body
6. The wood provided in the kit must be used. The block may be shaped any way desired.
7. The wheels supplied with the kit must be used.
8. The axles supplied with the kit must be used.
9. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
10. The car must not ride on any type of springs.
11. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
12. No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
13. Only one car may be registered by any person in the Derby
14. Participants can register multiple cars
15. In the event of a tie, lane choice is made by coin toss winner
16. If the car wins an event it must be retired and not race in the regulated bracket again
17. The race official has final ruling of any conflict on track, off track, and during inspection.
Each car must pass inspection by the race official before it will be allowed to compete. The race official has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications.