The Martin Board of Education Monday evening voted to hire Tyler Whitcomb as director of athletics and operations.
Whitcomb, who succeeds Robert VandenBerg, who retired at the end of the 2020-21 academic year, has 18 years of extensive experience in interscholastic athletics:
• Athletic Director/boys varsity basketball coach, West Michigan Aviation Academy – Grand Rapids.
• Athletic Director/men’s basketball coach, Howe Military Academy – Howe, Ind.
• Assistant men’s basketball coach, Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
• College basketball scout, International Basketball League – Portland, Ore.
• Owner/director of basketball operations, Grand Rapids Flight (IBL)
IBL Final Four.
• Owner/director of basketball operations, Holland Blast International Basketball League.
• Varsity girls’ basketball coach, Tri Unity Christian High School – Wyoming, MI.
Whitcomb holds a bachelor’s degree in Sports and Recreation Management from Concordia University and is a registered athletic administrator NIAAA.
He was finalist for 2012 Regional Basketball coach of the year in the MHSAA.