Allegan County is applying for a 2022 Michigan Natural Resource Trust Fund grant from the DNR to make improvements to Gun Lake Park.
The proposed improvements include:
• New stormwater system throughout the park to reduce ponding and flooding.
• A renovated asphalt drive, including a bypass lane, to provide a smoother, easier circulation route and a faster access for all watercraft users.
• New electric gates with vehicle detection loops and a Wi-Fi controlled pay station under a security light to improve and make for easier water craft access to the lake.
• An accessible kayak launch connected by a walkway to increase access to Gun Lake.
• Expanding the beach to twice the existing length and widened by five feet to provide more water access and a safe way for people to enjoy the beach and still social distance if needed.
• The addition of five benches, one barrier free, along with the existing retaining wall at the waters edge to provide a place for visitors to enjoy lake views and fishing, increase a non-watercraft related activities and use.
• A concrete walk along the east side of Patterson Road to improve connectivity within the park and provide safe access to neighboring properties.
• A pedestrian crossing with solar-powered rapid flashing beacons on both sides of Patterson Road to provide unobstructed visibility and awareness of pedestrians crossing to and from the existing parking lot west of Patterson.
• A concrete unloading space to provide easy access to the existing pavilion for the public and for partnership programs.
• Update to LED lighting in restrooms/barns.Wi-Fi usage.
Part of the grant process is getting letters of support for the project. Therefore, county officials are reaching out to organizations and individuals who use Gun Lake Park to get these letters of support.
Those who would like to show support may sending a letter that can be as simple as an e-mail or a Word document. It can be e-mailed to Parks@allegancounty.org or it can be snail-mailed to Allegan County Parks, Recreation and Tourism, 3283 122nd Ave., Allegan, Mi. 49010.