If both Hopkins and Dorr can have a Fourth of July celebration on the same day, it stands to reason that Martin and Wayland can have summer festivals on the same day two weeks later.
And that’s what’s happening on Saturday, July 16, when the two communities, only 10 miles apart along U.S.-131, will offer Hometown Day in Martin and the Main Street Celebration in Wayland. Martin’s festival will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Wayland’s will be from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., both in their downtown areas.
Martin Hometown Day 2022
• The JC Wheeler Library will be open for activities from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• A car show will get under way at 10 a.m. and last until noon.
• A craft and vendor show will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• The food truck will be open for business, starting at 11 a.m.
• Kids’ activities in the grassy area next to the fire and rescue building will be offered from 12:30 to 3 p.m.
• Food contests, including a pie baking competition, will be held from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the Martin Township Hall.
• Cornhole tournament at 5:30 p.m. at Clippers Café.
• Musical concerts will finish off the hometown fun from 5 to 9 p.m. Featured will be Dew South with the Onion Kings.
Wayland Main Street Celebration
• Sign up or simply enjoy the Talent Show.
• Take part in the Corn Hole Tournament.
• The Farmers Market will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. next to the Henika Library.
• Bring your children and grandchildren to get a Balloon Animal from noon to 12 p.m. and capture fun pics at the photo booth.
• For the kids — play in the Bounce House, Human Hamster Wheels, have a chance at Dunk Tank, and get through the obstacle course.
• Come watch the Fire Fighter Water Ball Competition at 2 p.m. in front of Pine Street Elementary.
• Sign the kids up and watch the 3-on-3 basketball tournament at the Pearl Street gym and City Park.
• Enjoy the local petting zoo from noon to 3 p.m.
• Art vendors will be present from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Visitors are encouraged to check out local shops, downtown restaurants, food trucks, a barbecue contest, and live entertainment throughout the day.
• Featured with live music will be performances by Decades, Tupo, Blue Jay Ridge and Twice the Action.